One of my best friends recently texted me a fabulous dinner idea…zucchini boats!
I made them the following evening. Thanks Dana, for the great idea!
Recipe for Zucchini (or squash) Boats
4 zucchinis (i also used yellow squash, use whatever you prefer)
1 tlb ground turkey (or italian ground sausage- if you use the italian ground sausage you will not need to add the spices below…still add the veggies)
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp basil (fresh or dried)
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 minced garlic cloves
1 jalapeno, diced (half of jalapeno for ground turkey mixture, half of jalapeno for veggie mixture-more or less to taste)
1/2 cup green pepper, diced (1/4 cup for ground turkey mixture, 1/4 cup reserved for veggie mixture- more or less to taste)
the zucchini innards, diced (1/4 cup for ground turkey mixture, 1/4 cup reserved for veggie mixture-more or less to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of wild rice (made according to directions), or any other side you’d like to enjoy. Would also go great with potatoes (mashed or baked!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Begin boiling water in a pot for the wild rice (if making).
2. Cut off the ends of the zucchini or squash, then cut in half, lengthwise.
3. Gently scoop out the seeds and flesh of the insides of the zucchini/squash. Place the zucchinis flesh side up on a baking sheet (I put foil on top of the baking sheet, but not necessary).
4. Chop up the vegetables listed in the ingredient list. Add 1 tsp of olive oil and the majority of the chopped veggie mixture to a sauté pan. In order to serve warm veggies, begin cooking on medium-low heat with 10 minutes left on oven timer, for boats.
5. Place the remaining chopped veggies (amount listed in ingredient list) in the turkey mixture.
6. Mix the turkey mixture and then evenly place mixture inside the boats.
7. Cook at 350 degrees until cooked through (about 20-30 minutes). Garnish with green onions or fresh parsley. Remember to start cooking your extra veggies 5-10 minutes out from the finish of the boats.
8. Cut a white triangle, have your kids decorate it as a flag, or write a cute phrase on it. Tape the flag/sail to the back of a toothpick and stick into the boat.
9. Place boats on top of the “ocean” of rice and extra veggies you sauteed. Add crushed red pepper flakes for additional kick.
10. Sail your edible boats into your mouth! Enjoy!