Since okra is wonderful for you and because I am on a “try a new vegetable” kick, I decided to give okra a shot.
I love me some fried okra….yet I have never purchased okra from the grocery store.
I decided to give it a shot and was glad I did 🙂
This recipe is perfect for a side or as the main entree. I added some grass-fed ground beef and hot sauce, and made it a…taco salad? Of sorts 🙂
2 tbsp butter
1 pack of okra
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 pack of mini portobella mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced or diced (preference)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp coriander (optional)
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional for spice)
salt and pepper to taste
optional: 1 lb of grass-fed ground beef, chili pepper, cayenne pepper
1. Get some delicious okra.
2. Rinse your delicious okra.
3. Cut off your delicious okra’s stems.
4. Melt the 2 tbsp of butter on medium heat in a saute pan. Add the onions. Caramelize (2-5 min).
5. Add the okra and spices. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the other vegetables (feel free to add or take out any veggies!).
7. Cook until desired vegetable texture (more for softer, less for crunchier).
8. Plate it up for a great vegetarian meal, use it as a side, or make it a “shell-less taco” salad of sorts (bed of mixed greens below the meat).
(for my ground beef- I browned the beef, then added 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp chili pepper, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
Sounds like a strange meal…but it is delicious…something new…and good for you!
Cheers and happy evolving.