I am all about sneaking vegetables into meals. I may be a little biased, but I almost prefer the zucchini to the noodles now! The zucchini (in my opinion) has a better texture, adding more of a “crunch” while also avoiding the “heavy” lasagna noddle coma after consumption. The spices and flavors are all the same, if not better! Try it out 🙂
(NOTE: A mandolin (seen below) is very helpful, but not necessary, for the creation of this masterpiece.)
1 lb Italian spiced ground turkey, hormone and antibiotic free (I purchased the kind with Italian seasoning already added- make it vegetarian and leave this out!)
1 onion, diced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp red pepper flakes
3 large zucchini
2 minced garlic cloves
1 can 15 0z tomatoe sauce (organic, preferred)
1 jalapeno, diced
1 large 28 oz (1 lb) can diced tomatoes (organic, preferred) OR 8 fresh roma tomatoes, diced
1 pack mushrooms
Fresh basil (as much as you would like)
Mozz cheese- 1 cup- shredded or a ball, sliced (optional- still delicious without cheese!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash your zukes. Cut off the ends. Then slice your zuchinni into long strips.
2. Brown your ground turkey and add dried spices and minced garlic.
3. Add the onions, fresh basil, and diced tomatoes.
4. Simmer (with the lid off) for 20-30 minutes. Add the mushrooms, jalapenos, and more fresh basil with 10 minutes left to simmer.
5. Begin layering the zucchini into a 9×13 dish.
6. After sauce has simmered, add the meat sauce to the zucchini.
7. Repeat 2 more times, so you have 3 layers of zuchinni and 3 layers of meat sauce. If you are using cheese, add a cheese layer on top of the meat, before you place the next zuchhini layer. After you have placed the final meat sauce on the top, add a final cheese layer. (You can see I made mine 3/4 with cheese and 1/4 without.)
8. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and cheese is golden brown (I broiled mine for the last 5 minutes).
9. As you can see, the zucchini releases a good bit of water. You can avoid this by “pressing your zucchini noodles” but I don’t have enough time for that! I just cut up the lasagna and serve it, then scoop out the extra liquid.
10. The perfect new DELICIOUS lasagna recipe to try this weekend!
Cheers and happy evolving!