With fall approaching, I have been craving warm, comforting desserts. Yes, I know it is still 80+ degrees outside. But I LOVE fall and am going to enjoy it to the fullest. Even if it hasn’t technically begun yet.
Warm apples are a huge reminder of fall to me.
Nick and I were at Barnes and Noble yesterday, and as always, I read the entire cooking/health section. I found a new book that I LOVE called LivWise by Olivia Newton John. You should definitely check it out!
There was a recipe very similar to this one in Livwise. I couldn’t remember the exact recipe, all I remembered was the apple part. So I made up my own!
Filling of choice!
(I used approx 1 tbsp rolled oats and 1 tsp brown sugar. You could also use pecans, walnuts, dried cranberries, raisins..the possibilities are endless!)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Obtain an apple. Or two or three.
2. Core it (I don’t have an apple corer so I just used made a square cut with a sharp knife. It was SO simple!)
…the core pushed right out!
3. Slice the apple across the “belly” so the peel doesn’t split while cooking.
4. Add desired fillings! I rotated the filling with layers of brown sugar and oatmeal (for a total of 1-2 tbsp oatmeal and 1 tsp brown sugar).
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes (more or less depending on oven and browning preference). The browned skin was perfect for my liking!
6. Enjoy a delicious dessert that tastes just like apple pie! (at least to me 🙂 )
7. Especially delicious if you add vanilla Greek yogurt and cinnamon!
Cheers and happy evolving!