If you haven’t tried wheat berries yet, you need to! They have a wonderful crunch and burst of flavor and texture… and they are so versatile! They work well with anything! This is a great dish that I modified from the back of a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Wheat Berries. A great way to try them out!
For Wheat Berries:
1/2 cup wheat berries
1 3/4 cup of water
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 can navy beans, rinsed
1/4 cup peanuts (optional)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tbsp honey mustard
1/4 cup chopped onion
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse the wheat berries. Add water and wheat berries to a pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer, covered, for one hour.
2. While the wheat berries are cooking, mix together the olive oil, parsley, honey mustard, onions, and sea salt and pepper.
3. When the wheat berries are finished, pour them into the olive oil mixture. Let sit for 15 min-1 hour to soak in the flavors.
5. Add the wheat berry mixture to the pan/bowl.
6. Add peanuts for an awesome added crunch (and protein)!
7. Saute up some portobella mushrooms with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.
8. And serve on top of the wheat berry and navy bean salad!
obsessed with this dish! the added portobella adds a great flavor!
Cheers and happy evolving!