A light and delicious fall salad- full of wonderful veggies and nutrients. Wonderful served warm or chilled!
I love the colors in this salad- they are as beautiful (inside and out!) as the close friend that gave me this recipe. You guessed it….Deborah is her name. She has been friends of our family for years and is just a beautiful, fun-loving, big-hearted person. I knew this salad was going to be a big hit…Deborah is an amazing cook and never steers me wrong!
As you can see, this recipe makes a large serving size, so it is a great recipe to bring to a pot luck or to a friend’s house!
2 cups of rice (use whatever type you like, in this recipe I used 1 cup wild rice; 1 cup brown rice)
1/2 large butternut squash (or a whole small one)
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup red onion or green onion
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 zucchini, diced (I forgot to buy one, so I didn’t use one)
1 can chick peas, rinsed
for the dressing:
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp acid (lime or lemon juice)
2 tbsp sweet (maple syrup or honey)
1 tsp curry
1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp dry wasabi
1. Cook the rice (see suggested method here to decrease arsenic levels).
2. Cut up the vegetables and rinse the chick peas.
3. I decided to rinse the rice, even after cooked, and it worked well!
4. Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a separate bowl.
5. Add the veggies, then the dressing. Mix. Best if let sit overnight, but delicious served right away, too!
cheers and happy evolving!