After our ice storm on Friday night, there is only one meal that is appropriate to enjoy while staring into a backyard “winter wonderland.”
Usually the hubs give a slight grumble when I bake things with whole wheat flour. So when he came into the kitchen and saw the whole wheat flour out, I received a low, but quiet, grumble. When all was said, done, and happily resting inside our stomachs, he goes “I would’ve never known those were made with whole wheat flour if I hadn’t had seen it.”
This recipe is super easy and delicious! The recipe creates a perfectly crispy shell, with a warm and moist inside that leaves you begging for more.
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp raw sugar
5 tbsp butter, melted (so worth it! 🙂
1.5 cups lukewarm milk
1 large egg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp orange juice, fresh
1/2 cup – 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Add wet to dry.
3. Stir just until mixed, careful to not over-stir.
4. Fold in the blueberries.
5. Place into a greased waffle maker. My waffle maker shows a “green light” when finished…so I don’t know the exact time…. but I would guess about 5-7 minutes.
6. Drizzle with fresh blueberries and maple syrup.
cheers and happy evolving!