Totally threw things into a pot, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best for this recipe. Sometimes those recipes work out, sometimes….they don’t. At least the squirrels get fed when that happens 🙂
Luckily, this recipe turned out amazing! It has a delicious smoky flavor from the bacon with a great balance from the acidic tomatoes, and flavorful chives and cilantro!
- 4-6 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can black beans , drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to tast
- 1 bunch cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- freshly chopped chives (optional)
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Grated cheddar
1. Cook bacon in a large soup pot.
2. Add onions and garlic. Saute 4-5 minutes.
3. Add everything else except the cilantro and lime.
4. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes, covered.
5. Before serving, mix in 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro.
6. Top with fresh cilantro and chives!
and plain greek yogurt, if that’s your style!
cheers and happy evolving!