I love Aarti Sequeira’s show on Food network. So when I stumbled upon her naan recipe (one of Nick and I’s favorite things to eat), I was eager to try it! I exchanged 1 cup of reg flour for 1 cup of whole wheat.
It was very easy and absolutely fabulous.
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar, divided
1 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached and 1 cup whole wheat flour, plus more for rolling*
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
1. dissolve the yeast, 1 tsp sugar, and 3/4 cup warm water into a small bowl. let sit until frothy (about 10 minutes). add together the flour, salt, other tsp of sugar, and baking powder into a large bowl.
2. when the yeast mixture is ready, add the olive oil and yogurt into the bowl. gently stir. then mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
3. mix just until the dough comes together. set a wet towel on top of the bowl. let sit for 2-3 hours.
4. After 2-3 hours, divide the dough into 6-8 balls. Flour a surface and roll out each ball as thin as you can (without ripping a hole). Preheat a skillet. Sprinkle water on the flattened dough. Place on skillet for 3-5 min per side. Sprinkle each side with sea salt.
5. I popped mine in the oven while they were being made.
Perfect for dipping in olive oil and vinegar, hummus, wraps, or anything else! They are truly delicious!
cheers and happy evolving!