This soup is delicious, full of flavor, hearty, SO easy to make and even gets the approval from the hubs as a “meatless meal!”
You can choose to do it over the stove or in a crock pot. I found the recipe a few hours before dinner, so I gave it a shot over the stove and it was delicious.
This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite recipe magazines (Eating Well). That magazine rocks my socks. If you don’t already get it, I highly recommend a subscription. It is cheap, too!
1 lb dry pinto beans, soaked
6 cups water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 jalapenos, diced (optional)
1 cup frozen corn
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tbsp ground cumin
juice of 2 limes
salt and pepper to taste
Jalapeno Cornbread Dumplings
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp cold butter, diced
1-2 fresh jalapenos, diced
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup milk
1. Soak your beans using the overnight method or the quick method. I wrote a past blog post on how to soak your beans. Check it out here.
2. Chop your veggies.
3. Throw everything into a large pot (or your crock-pot!).
4. If cooking on stove top, bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer covered for 2-3 hours. If using a crock pot, throw everything in and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
5. When your soup has about 30 minutes left, prepare the dumplings. Mix the the flour, salt, baking powder, and corn meal. Add the butter and mix until lumpy.
6. Add the zest, jalapenos, milk, and lime juice.
7. Mix until combined.
8. Take dumpling sized chunks (whatever size dumplings you want! I did mine larger, and wish I made them a little smaller in order to have more dumplings…since they were so delicious in the soup!) and place them in the pot or crock pot. If using the crock pot, cook on high for 20-30 more minutes. If using a stove pot, cook for another 15 minutes.
9. While the dumplings are cooking, prepare your toppings!
10. Soup up your deliciousness! Add whatever toppings you desire, including the lime juice and plain Greek yogurt!
11. Enjoy a delicious soup that is great for dinner AND leftovers!
Cheers and happy evolving!