I modified this recipe from one of my favorite magazines, Eating Well.
I decided to add some protein, so I threw in some chick peas. I also decreased the amount of dressing, so if you feel like it is too dry, feel free to increase the amounts.
This really is a delicious dish, cool, and refreshing. Perfect side dish for a barbecue! The balsamic and maple syrup meld beautifully together, and the cranberries add a nice surprise burst of flavor!
1 cup quinoa
1 cup dried cranberries
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup green onions/scallions
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1/8 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Make quinoa according to package.
2. Mix the olive oil, vinegar, maple.
3. Measure out the rest of the ingredients.
4. Mix those ingredients into the quinoa.
5. Add the dressing and mix. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate the salad overnight. Reserve a little bit of the dressing to pour on the quinoa the day you will be serving it.
Serve this salad chilled. This is a great salad to take to a party, serve as a side, or my favorite thing to do was to throw a serving on top of some greens.
cheers and happy evolving!