I thought these taco bowls were the cutest thing EVER when I stumbled upon them in a magazine. I couldn’t wait to make them.
So I did.
And they were fabulous.
The recipe in which I found them had makings for chicken tacos inside (a great idea!) Another great idea would be to make your own miniature taco salad. I decided to switch it up a little and throw in a delicious vegetarian twist.
1 can white beans (recipe called for pinto, any bean will do!)
2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
3-4 tbsp water
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 cups cooked rice
For the taco bowls:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (start cooking rice now, if you wan’t rice with your bowls!).
2. Heat tortillas in the micro until warm and pliable. Coat with “olive oil’ cooking spray. Turn a 12-cup muffing tin upside down and place the tortillas in between 4 cups to form a curvy bowl. I was the only one eating dinner, so I made 3- 2 for dinner and 1 for lunch.
Bake until firm and beginning to brown (about 15 minutes).
aren’t they the cutest things ever???
3. Add whatever toppings you’d like! Or….keep following the recipe below!
4. While the rice and shells are cooking, drain and rinse the can of beans. (Click here to learn why I like rinsing things in cans)
5. Add beans to a saute pan with chili powder, red pepper flakes, sugar, salt, and water. Add more or less water depending on the amount of chili powder you decide to use.
6. Stir and heat bean mixture until warm.
7. When everything is ready, mix the juice of 1-2 limes with the cooked rice. Add about 3 tbsp chopped cilantro. Add as the first layer to the taco.
8. Then start layering up your tacos with anything your heart desires! Squeeze a lime slice on top for added fiesta-power.
Cheers and happy evolving!