i adore this recipe.
you will too.
(thanks to the manicotti box for getting me started on this recipe).
a few more steps then i like, but totally worth it.
**(you will also need a pasta sauce and parmesean cheese, see step 3 for sauce specifics).**
also, IMO, Daisy cottage cheese is the way to go. basic, simple ingredients.
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cook manicotti according to package.
3. If you so want to be ultra crazy, use the same noodle pot (to save yourself from slaving over dishes!) to start creating your own pasta sauce (I just threw the following into a pot…1 large can of diced tomatoes, half a diced onion, dried basil, dried parsley, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar, and fresh parsley at the very end). Then the sauce was simmered until the pasta was stuffed. Don’t feel crazy? It’s ok. Just buy a nice organic jar of pasta sauce. 🙂
4. While the sauce is doing its thing, start sauteing mushrooms in some olive oil in a separate pot.
5. When they are smelling delicious (3-5 minutes), add spinach. Cook just until it begins to wilt.
6. Remove from heat and add cottage cheese, (a few shakes of fresh Parmesan for bonus points), and the minced garlic cloves.
7. Now the fun (and messy) part!
First, put half of the pasta sauce in a 9×13 baking dish.
Then, holding the noodle over the cheese mixture (for soon to be obvious reasons), pinch the bottom end of the manicotti noddle, and spoon the cheese mixture until it fills the length of the tube.
8. Place two horizontal rows of 5 (of more if you are good at origami) into the baking dish.
9. Add the other half of the pasta sauce, and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
10. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Noodle-goodness for dinner. Delicious leftovers for lunch.
Pair with a delicious summer salad!
Cheers and happy evolving!